Apple picking is always a fun adventure for families, and a great way to spend an afternoon outdoors. Triad Moms on Main pulled together a list of favorite orchards around the Triad, or within a three-hour drive, that would make for a fun day-trip excursion. Always be sure to call each venue and confirm that the apples are ripe for picking before you visit. Also, be sure to check operating hours, as many are closed on certain days of the week. The apple season typically runs through early November, but some farms finish the season earlier than others. Enjoy!
Apple Hill Orchard
Address: 2075 Pleasant Hill Avenue, Morganton, NC 28655
Phone: (828) 437-1224
* Orchard includes a cider mill, a country store, and a bakery
Bee Sweet Orchards
Address: 2229 Pannel Rd Reidsville, NC
Phone: (336) 427-6933
* Offers Red Delicious and Golden Delicious apples
Billy Laughter Orchards
Address: 111 Tullahoma Farms Lane, Hendersonville, NC 28792
Phone: (828) 685-3241
* Once there, you’ll also find great Fall Harvest decorations such as pumpkins, Indian corn, winter squash and gourds.
Coston’s Apple House/Coston Farm Products
Address: 3748 Chimney Rock Hwy., Hendersonville, NC 28792
Phone: (828) 685-8352
* Visit the farm to find everything you need to decorate for the fall season, including pumpkins, gourds, corn shocks, hay, and Indian corn. You can also find other unique decorations in their gift shop, as well as seasonal treats in their bakery!
Address: 280 Bent Arrow Lane, Hendersonville, NC 28792
Phone: (828) 685-7728
Grandad’s Apples N’ Such
Address: 2951 Chimney Rock Road Hendersonville, NC 28792
Phone: (828) 685-1685
* Galas are available for picking! Their corn maze is currently open, and all other children’s activities (barn- yard animals, a cow train, a jump pillow and an apple cannon) will follow CDC guidelines.
Historic Orchard at Altapass
Address: 1025 Orchard Rd, Spruce Pine, NC 28777
Phone: (828) 765-9531
* Also offers storytelling, checkers, and dancing.
Address: 187 Garren Road, Hendersonville, NC 28792
Phone: (828) 974-1232
* Tour the orchard, visit the ducks in the pond as well as the farm animals, let the kids take a ride on the Cow Train through the orchard, and don’t leave without a stop at its bakery or Apple House for pre-picked apples, honey, jams, jellies and preserves, and other homemade goodies.
Address: 163 Levering Lane, Ararat, VA 24053
Phone: (276) 755-2224
* Bring a lawn chair and enjoy their outdoor theatre (although shows are geared more toward adults)
Millstone Creek Orchards
Address: 506 Parks Crossroad Church Road, Ramseur, NC 27316
Phone: (336) 824-5263
* Reservations are required for U-Pick. More information on their website.
Address: 1193 Pinnacle Mountain Rd, Flat Rock, NC 28731
Phone: (828) 692-7930
* In addition to a long list of apple varieties, the orchard offers panoramic views, orchard ponds with ducks and geese, a barnyard area with sheep, goats, chickens, turkeys, peacocks, a bamboo forest to explore, and lots of picnic areas.
Stepp’s Hillcrest Orchard
Address: 221 Stepp Orchard Drive, Hendersonville, NC 28792
Phone: (828) 685-9083
* Farm includes a five-acre corn maze, apple cannon, and a nature trail. Check opening dates with the farm before heading out! Tractor pulls and apple cannons only available on weekends.
Stoney Hollow Farm
Address: 944 Ollies Creek Rd., Robbinsville, NC 28771
Phone: (828) 735-2983
*Visit their store for a variety of produce, flowers, jams, antiques, and locally crafted items. And then relax in their rocking chairs or stroll their gardens!
Windy Hill Orchards
Address: 176 Windy Hill Lane, Ararat, VA 24053
Phone: (276) 251-5222
* To find this farm, do not use GPS. Use directions from the “Contact” page on their website.
Triad Moms on Main (www.TriadMomsOnMain.com) has over 50 different helpful directories like this on our site. Click the “Directories” tab at the top right of the site to access these lists!
[fbcomments url="" width="100%" count="off" num="15" countmsg="Facebook Comments"]