BY MADISON SKAKLE
Ooey, gooey chocolate chip cookies with just enough crunch around the edges. For me, chocolate chip cookies are not simple, they are complex and the absolute perfect dessert. I’m sharing my favorite, no-fail chocolate chip cookies that (mark my words) are the best in the entire world!
In order to bake perfect chocolate chip cookies, there are several steps you need to understand. First of all, all ingredients must be room temperature before beginning. This includes eggs and butter. In the recipe below, you will be using melted butter, so that step is easy-peasy. Before you begin baking, set your ingredients out for an hour. All ingredients need to be the same temperature because they mix and blend better together. If all ingredients blend better together, you will have a more consistent cookie.
The second important procedure—chilling your dough! This is an absolute requirement and, in my opinion, the very essential step that you cannot skip. I know you want to eat the cookies as soon as humanly possible, but take a break and chill that dough! I prepare my dough a day ahead of time and chill overnight. This works best for me, but you can also just chill for 2–3 hours. Once the cookie dough has chilled, take it out of the refrigerator and let it come to room temperature for 30 minutes, or it will be too hard to scoop. Chilling your dough keeps cookies from spreading too much on the pan and thus prevents a too-crispy cookie.
Lastly, when you scoop your cookies out onto the baking sheet, think big! The bigger you scoop your cookies, and the higher the dough is, the less they will spread. Here’s what I do. I roll 2 tablespoons of dough individually into balls and then I put those balls together to create a little cone of dough. Then, you can plant the dough on the greased baking sheet and gently press down, so the dough is about 1-inch thick. This cone method works for me every single time!
If you follow the recipe below perfectly, your cookies will be perfection. Just enough crisp around the edges and slightly gooey and soft in the center. Enjoy! Don’t forget your glass of milk!
The Perfect Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe:
- 2¼ cups (280g) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1½ teaspoons cornstarch
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup (1.5 sticks or 170g) unsalted butter, melted
- ¾ cup (135g) loosely packed light brown sugar
- ½ cup (100g) granulated sugar
- 1 large egg + 1 egg yolk, at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup (180g) semi-sweet chocolate chips or chocolate chunks
- Whisk the flour, baking soda and cornstarch together. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, stir the melted butter and both sugars together until combined. Add in the egg and egg yolk and stir well. Next, stir in the vanilla extract.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients into the butter mixture. Stir until just combined and add in the chocolate chunks or chips.
- Place cookie dough in the refrigerator for 3 hours or chill overnight.
- Let cookie dough come to room temperature while preheating the oven to 325 degrees.
- Place cookie dough mound (see article above) onto cookie sheets and bake for 10–11 minutes. The cookies should be barely golden and a little gooey in the middle when you take them out.
- Let cookies cool on cookie sheet for 5 minutes and then transfer to a wire rack to cook completely.