“Any Time Is Ice Cream Time”…I think we all agree on that premise. SO, plan on joining your neighbors and friends on Saturday, August 27th, for the 2nd Annual Clemmons Ice Cream Festival. We are excited to announce a brand new location for this year’s Ice Cream Festival—Clemmons Elementary School. The Festival will run from 9:00 am until noon. Since the Festival is in conjunction with The Farmers’ Market, don’t forget your list for fresh veggies, jams, and more. Are you ready for some late summer fun? Remember, the weekend of August 27th is the last weekend before school starts. What better way to wrap up summer vacation and take some great memories into the fall season?
Last year, at the 1st Annual Ice Cream Festival, over 800 people enjoyed the festivities, with five competitors in the Ice Cream Freeze-Off contest. Let’s increase that number this year in a major way!
Are you an ice cream maker extraordinaire? Think you make the best ice cream around? Why not enter the Ice Cream Freeze-Off and formalize those bragging rights? A little healthy competition is a good thing. The winner will be awarded a new ice cream maker. The Freeze-Off is open to all non-professional ice cream makers; you can compete individually or as a team with up to three members.
Food vendors will be on-site, offering ice cream and more for you to enjoy while you watch the competitors prepare their specialties for judging. Please remember to bring cash for goodies, as many of the vendors accept cash only. With all that ice cream in view, you’re going to want some to enjoy for yourself.
There are many other activities planned for you at the Festival. Back again is the bluegrass jam session, a big hit at last year’s event. Bring your fiddle, bring your bow and join in—there’s nothing like bluegrass music to get your toes tappin’ and your feet moving. Speaking of movement, the competitive clogger team from Pro Dance Academy will be on hand to entertain you. Clogging and bluegrass music, plus ice cream! Wow! Sounds like a great way to spend a Saturday morning in the South. Community partners will also be participating with plenty of crafts and fun activities for the kids.
This year, the Festival is sponsored by Golding Farms. As you may know, Golding Farms’ motto is ‘Honest to Goodness Flavor,”™ and their family-owned business strives each day to ensure the best for their consumers. Their locally made products range from dressings, mustards, honey, molasses, chow chow, steak sauce and more—all the things we use to enhance the flavor of our foods. Look for their labels next time you shop.
For more information on the Ice Cream Festival and for entry forms, contact Shannon Ford, Marketing/Communications Director for the Village of Clemmons, at 336.766.7511 or check the website (email@example.com).
Snoopy says, “Happiness is ice cream.” Come be happy on August 27th!
Briefly, the logistical guidelines are:
- Submit ice cream recipe with entry form.
- Bring your own ingredients and equipment (heavy-duty extension cord, ice and salt, and container for freezer).
- Tents and tables provided; however, bring your own chairs.
- Startup is 9:00 am. Ice cream contestants need to be at the Festival by 10:00 am. Judging/tasting begins at 11:30 am with winners announced at noon.
- All recipes must contain real pasteurized dairy products. NO raw eggs are allowed in the final product.
- No home-canned fruits, vegetables, or meats are permitted in products. Recipes must be provided to indicate ingredients used in each step of the process.
- Contestants should carefully wash their hands and ensure no open cuts. Contestants should not compete within 48 hours of recovering from any illness.
- If nut products of any kind are part of the recipe, highlight that on recipe sheet and the staff will place a note at your tent before the commencement of tasting.
- ABSOLUTELY NO SAMPLES given out to the public due to Board of Health regulations. Products can only be shared with contest judges and officials.
- Entries will be judged on the flavor, presentation, and texture. One winner will be awarded Best Scoop.