It happens to us all. Every now and then, we feel the need for a change in our living space. We get tired of looking at the same furniture rearrangements, wall colors, and decorations. The hope of making a switch and getting ideas on what to do from DIY sites can be motivational. When it comes to the reality of actually doing a home make-over, it can be more of a hassle. However, there are stress-free small ways to spruce up your home without having the help of an HGTV DIY team, including the ones below.
- If you are looking for some new artwork, turn your own photos into posters. A simple Google search will show you the stores in your area that print pictures in a poster size. Looking for an extra touch, add a frame to them.
- Decorators have lived by the rule of displaying accent pieces in odd numbers. For example, your kitchen counter may hold five knick-knacks, instead of four or six. This tip is pleasing to the eye and gives more attention to the individual items.
- Hang a mirror in every room, when possible. The addition of a mirror can lighten up a space, but it needs to be placed on walls that are perpendicular with, or next to, windows. Never hang a mirror across from a window, because this will create too much light in the room.
- One way to make a room feel smaller than it truly is can come from low or dark ceilings. If a ceiling is built low, paint it a lighter color and hang curtains higher than the windows. Your eye will be tricked into thinking the ceiling is higher.
- For larger areas, such as countertops, always keep the décor to a minimum. Don’t overload it with small items or knick-knacks. This can create a cluttered feeling.
- Never place a bed along the same wall as the door. According to Feng Shui, having a bed in this position will fill your head with energy when you are supposed to be resting.
- Speaking of Feng Shui, here are many guidelines to follow to add more peace, energy, and comfort to your house.
- Your stove is the most valuable possession in your home. It brings good fortune and should be kept clean and grease-free.
- Declutter your entryway, so you aren’t overwhelmed every time you walk in the door. Trunks, closets, and shelves can be a huge help in moving the clutter out of sight.
- Empty spots can be easily filled with a plant, which in return, will bring happy energy in.
- Rugs can be a benefit for any type of room, especially in kitchens and bathrooms. Sometimes these two rooms can be on the older side, but a rug can bring warmth to the space.
- Bathrooms should not be overlooked. Paint the walls warm colors, add accessories, such as candles, fluffy towels, chunky soap bars, and more to create a spa-like atmosphere.
- Move around your accent pieces and knick-knacks often. This is one of the simplest ways to make a décor change. Mix and match items between rooms and seasons.
- Another thing to mix and match are textures. Pillows, throws, and accessories of different textures can create intriguing visual effects and layers in a room.
- Paint and repaint walls, baseboards, doors, windows, and furniture. This is another easy tip to make a change in your home. It is inexpensive and can bring a new look to an area. Don’t be afraid of color of all sorts—neutrals, light colors, and dark colors. However, always test a sample of a new paint color before using it all over.
- Add a pop of color to the back of your shelves and in your closet. If you are not looking for a color overhaul, this tip is a great way to add color without much effort.
A change in your home can be nice every now and then. It doesn’t have to be a big update, because a little can go a long way with these easy tips.
[fbcomments url="" width="100%" count="off" num="15" countmsg="Facebook Comments"]