Have you ever had a passport? It’s an inconsequential little book, but it holds great potential, giving the owner authority to travel internationally and spend time in foreign countries. But getting one takes effort. It’s not easy and requires both time and money to obtain it. However, most find the effort worthwhile when it comes to seeing the world.
Like a passport, holding Jesus’ gift of salvation equips us with the blessing of eternal life. However, no one said being a Christian would be easy. In fact, Jesus Himself said in John 16:33, “In the world you will have tribulation.” Not “you may.” “You will.” However, again, most find the effort worthwhile when it comes to seeing Jesus face-to-face for eternity.
Have you ever thought about our faith with Christ in the same way?
Let’s talk about our faith in Jesus through the lens of a passport application.
- FILL OUT YOUR FORM: Once you’ve decided to accept Jesus’ gift of salvation, He takes over the paperwork. In fact, it’s just one line He fills in—He writes your name in the Lamb’s Book of Life. Once your name is there, it can’t be erased.
“Nevertheless, do not rejoice in this, that the spirits are subject to you, but rejoice that your names are written in heaven.” ~Luke 10:20
“But nothing unclean will ever enter it, nor anyone who does what is detestable or false, but only those who are written in the Lamb’s book of Life.” ~Revelation 21:27
- COLLECT YOUR SUPPORTING DOCUMENTS: Unlike a passport, we don’t need supporting documents. Jesus knows our hearts. When we’ve sincerely repented of our sins, He sends the Holy Spirit to live in us.
“If you love me, you will keep my commandments. And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Helper, to be with you forever, even the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it neither sees him nor knows him. You know him, for he dwells with you and will be in you.” ~John 14:15-17
- GET YOUR PHOTO: We are created after God’s own image, and since He knitted us inside our mother’s wombs, He’s already got our photos on file.
So God created man in his own image… ~Genesis 1:27a
“For you formed my inward parts; you knitted me together in my mother’s womb.” ~Psalm 139:13
- CALCULATE YOUR FEES: We are sinners and the price of sin is death—the eternal separation from God. But again, Jesus has taken care of this, too. He paid the price for our sins, so all we need to do is confess that He is Lord and ask Him to save us. There is nothing else we owe.
For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord. ~Romans 6:23
For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast. ~Ephesians 2:8-9
- SUBMIT: When we submit our lives to Christ, we are then under the protection and authority of His grace and mercy. Through submission, we are liberated and never need to worry about anything, because God’s got it all under control.
Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths. ~Proverbs 3:5-6
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. ~James 4:7
Humble yourselves, therefore, under the mighty hand of God so that at the proper time He may exalt you, ~1 Peter 5:6
The process of becoming Jesus’ is simple. Not easy, but simple. But the effort of living for Him is worth it when it comes to seeing the magnificence of heaven and spending eternity in His glorious presence.
So we do not lose heart. Though our outer self is wasting away, our inner self is being renewed day by day. For this light momentary affliction is preparing for us an eternal weight of glory beyond all comparison, as we look not to the things that are seen, but to the things that are unseen. For the things that are seen are transient, but the things that are unseen are eternal. ~2 Corinthians 4:16-18