Independence Day celebrations call for patriotic foods! The kids can help squeeze lemons, spread the layers of the bean dip, sprinkle and stir the ingredients. Whether you are celebrating by the pool, with a picnic, or with the backyard barbecue, these cool red-white-and-blue-themed recipes will add festive flair the whole family will love.
1 lb. Strawberries (the riper, the better)
1 cup granulated Sugar (superfine is best)
4 Lemons, juiced
Cold Water (or use sparkling for fizz)
Strawberry and Lemon slices for garnish
1. Remove tops of strawberries and cut in half. Place in blender with sugar and enough water added so that it blends more easily. Blend until smooth.
2. Juice the lemons.
3. Using a sieve, strain lemon and strawberry juice over a bowl. Use a spoon to press it down in the sieve.
4. Transfer the strawberry lemon pulp to a pitcher and add water to taste. Chill or serve over ice, garnishing with strawberry and lemon slices (optional).
Patriotic-Flag-Layered Taco Dip
1 (16 oz.) can Refried Beans
1 cup Sour Cream
1 (16 oz.) package pre-made Guacamole
2 Tbsp. Taco Seasoning
1 small jar Salsa, mild
3 Tbsp. Cilantro, fresh (optional)
1 large can Black Olives, sliced
4 slices Mozzarella Cheese
1 pint Cherry Tomatoes
1 (16 oz.) shredded Queso Cheese
1. Spread the refried beans on the bottom of a large casserole dish. Sprinkle taco seasoning evenly on top.
2. Spread sour cream as an even layer, followed by the guacamole. Sprinkle on cilantro (optional).
3. Create a “square” of olives in the top left corner, in what would be the blue part of the American flag.
4. Slice the cherry tomatoes in half and place in rows to create the red stripes of the American flag.
5. In the stripes between the tomatoes, sprinkle the shredded queso cheese to represent the white stripes of the flag.
6. Using a star cookie cutter or your knife skills, cut out star shapes for the mozzarella slices and place atop the black olives.
7. Refrigerate until serving. Serve with red and blue corn tortilla chips.
Easy Berries & Cream Ice Cream
1 (14 oz.) can sweetened condensed Milk
2 tsp. Vanilla extract
2 cups heavy whipping Cream (cold)
1 (8 oz.) Cream Cheese block, softened
Strawberries & Blueberries
1. In a medium bowl, beat cream cheese, condensed milk, and vanilla until smooth.
2. In a separate bowl, beat heavy whipping cream until stiff peaks form.
3. Fold whipped cream into cream cheese mixture.
4. Top with berries. Pour into a loaf pan and freeze until firm, around 6 hours or overnight.
[fbcomments url="" width="100%" count="off" num="15" countmsg="Facebook Comments"]