Quesadillas are a favorite among kids and adults alike—they are quick and easy to make, crispy yet gooey, easy to hold without the “fallout” of tacos, and fit perfectly inlittle lunch boxes. Here are quesadilla options for breakfast, lunch and dessert!
Table Talk:Take the opportunity to tell your children about the significance of Cinco de Mayo, “The Fifth of May.” Commonly mistaken in America as Mexico’s Independence Day from Spain (actually September 16th), Cinco de Mayo commemorates the Mexican Army’s unlikely victory over the French Empire in the Battle of Puebla May 5th, 1862, under the leadership of General Ingacio Zaragoza. In the United States, the date is associated with the celebration of Mexican-American culture.
2-4 large tortillas
2 eggs, fried or scrambled
1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
5 cherry tomatoes, diced
1 avocado, cubed
- Coat a cast iron skillet with vegetable oil. Warm over medium heat.
- Mix all ingredients in a mixing bowl.
- Once oil is hot, place a tortilla in the pan and place half of the mixture on the tortilla.
- Fold the tortilla in half or layer it with another tortilla on top of the mixture.
- Flip the tortilla over to lightly brown on both sides. Remove the quesadilla and cut into quarters. Repeat for the second tortilla.
- Serve with salsa.
Chicken Portabella Mushroom Spinach & Corn Quesadillas
2-4 large tortillas
1 cup baby spinach
½ cup chicken, cooked and shredded
2 large portabella mushrooms thinly sliced
1 cup corn
1 cup pepper jack cheese, shredded
½ medium red onion, thinly sliced
salt & pepper to taste
Same cooking directions as above!
Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Quesadillas
1 8-inch tortilla
2 Tbsp. peanut butter
½ medium banana
1 Tbsp. semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Spread half of peanut butter on surface of tortilla
- Slice the banana in half thinly and arrange on one-half of the tortilla. Sprinkle chocolate chips over bananas.
- Spray the skillet with cooking spray and cook quesadilla over medium-low heat until golden brown on both sides.
Bag of baby spinach
1 can corn
2 portabella mushrooms
Pepper jack cheese
Semi-sweet chocolate chips
Chicken breasts (or canned shredded chicken)