Whether for a picnic, party or summer snack, make your table red white & blue for the July 4th holiday with help from the kids! Did you know that the first public Independence Day celebration in our country happened at Old Salem?
Firecracker Hot Dogs
- 1 can refrigerated breadstick dough
- 16 hot dogs
- 16 thick slices Colby jack cheese
- 16 skewers
- star cookie cutter
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Pierce the hot dogs through the center lengthwise with a wooden skewer, leaving about 1.5 inches of exposed skewer at the top (to place the cheese star on later).
- Twist a piece of breadstick dough in a spiral around the hot dog from top to bottom, leaving space (dough not touching). Repeat with all of the hot dogs.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until the bread is golden brown.
- Cut the cheese using a star cookie cutter. When hot dogs are cool, place a star atop each of the hot dog skewers.
- Consider displaying them in a clear vase, in glasses, or in a Styrofoam block to make them stand up.
Red, White & Blue Salad
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1 cup strawberries, diced
- ½ watermelon, cubed
- 4 tsp. mint leaves, chopped
- 1 large lime, juiced
- ¼ tsp. sea salt
- ¼ cup Feta cheese, crumbled
- 2 Tbsp. honey (optional)
- After dicing the ingredients indicated above, toss.
- Stir the lime juice into the honey and drizzle as dressing over the salad mixture.
Red White & Blue Stained Glass Jell-O
- 1 large box red Jell-O gelatin (any flavor)
- 1 large box blue Jell-O gelatin (any flavor)
- 2 packs of plain gelatin
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- In two separate baking dishes prepare one of the flavored Jell-Os, stirring in one cup of hot water with the package contents until dissolved, and refrigerate each overnight.
- Cut the Jell-Os into small cubes.
- Arrange and mix the Jell-O cubes in a separate 9 x 13 baking dish, preferably one with a lid for carrying and storing.
- In a mixing bowl, pour the 2 packs of plain gelatin into 2 cups of hot water and stir until dissolved.
- Stir the can of sweetened condensed milk into the plain gelatin mixture, mixing well.
- Cool until at room temperature, then pour condensed milk mixture over the cubed Jell-O and refrigerate for 7 hours.
- Cut into squares and enjoy!