These patriotic snacks are great for 4th of July festivities or any day! The recipes use lots of in-season berries to encourage fresh and local eating. Kids can be very hands-on with these recipes!
Patriotic Flag Snack
Strawberries (sliced) or use red fruit roll-ups
Cream cheese (or cool whip)
- Have kids assemble the flag by spreading the cream cheese or cool whip onto one side of the graham cracker.
- Add 4-6 blueberries in the top right corner of the graham cracker (horizontally) as “stars.”
- Add the sliced strawberries (or red fruit roll-ups cut lengthwise into strips) in rows for the “stripes,” leaving some white cream cheese/cool whip showing in between rows.
An adorable festive take on traditional “pigs-in-a-blanket”!
2 packages of 16 hot dogs each
1 can refrigerated breadstick dough
16 thick slices of Colby jack or cheddar cheese (from the deli)
16 wooden skewers
- Preheat the oven to 350° and line a baking sheet with parchment paper (or silpat liner).
- Skewer hot dogs all the way through lengthwise, leaving about 1.5 inch of skewer sticking out of the top (for later adding the cheese star).
- Carefully wrap the hot dog with a strip of breadstick dough (leaving a little hot dog exposed all the way as it wraps around).
- Place wrapped hot dogs on the lined baking sheet and bake according to the breadstick dough package instructions.
- We recommend purchasing extra thick cheese slices from your grocer’s deli to get thick slices about ¼”-three-eighths inches thick, or cutting them from a block yourself. Using the star cookie cutter, cut out star shapes.
- After the hot dogs have baked and cooled, add the star cheese to the top of the skewer.
- Display standing up in a Mason jar and serve with lines of ketchup “stripes!”
Red White & Blue Fruit Salsa with Cinnamon Sugar Star Chips
Whole wheat soft tortillas
Star cookie cutter
2 Tbsp. melted butter
½ cup sugar
1 Tbsp. cinnamon
1 cup raspberries (optional)
½ cup strawberries, chopped
¼ cup red apples, chopped
¼ cup blueberries
¼ cup seedless raspberry or strawberry jam
1. Preheat oven to 400°.
- Using the star cookie cutter, cut star shapes out of the tortillas.
- Spread out stars on a baking sheet and brush them with melted butter.
- In a small bowl, stir cinnamon and sugar together and sprinkle generously onto tortilla stars.
- Bake tortillas until crispy, about 5 minutes.
- Toss chopped fruit and jam together. Serve with the star chips!