School will soon be out, and the sand and surf is calling. To make it there with the kids or just to get you in the mood, here are some recipes that are “just beachy!”
Easy Popcorn Shrimp
½ lb. shrimp—deveined and clean
1 cup Panko bread crumbs
2 tsp Old Bay seasoning
½ tsp pepper
¼ cup Parmesan cheese, grated
Parsley (chopped) & lemon slices (optional)
- Heat 1″ of cooking oil in skillet on medium-high heat.
- In small bowl, whisk egg.
- In another small bowl, combine Panko crumbs, Old Bay Seasoning, grated parmesan and pepper.
- Dip each shrimp into egg mixture, then into bread-crumb mixture, and fry a couple of minutes on each side, until Panko is lightly browned.
- Place shrimp on towel to drain until ready to serve.
- Garnish with chopped parsley and lemon slices if desired.
Starfish Cheese Puffs
2 sheets puff pastry
1 Tbsp. water
Cheese, grated (cheddar, Colby, Romano, Parmesan, or combo)
Star cookie cutters
- Lay out puff pastry sheets to defrost. Preheat oven to 350º and cover baking sheet with baking paper.
- Let the kids lightly beat the egg and water together to form egg wash.
- Using the star cookie cutter, cut out star shapes from puff pastry.
- Lay the stars onto baking paper and brush on egg wash.
- Sprinkle each star with grated cheese.
- Bake 10 minutes or until cheese has melted and pastry is puffed.
Crunchy Apple Boats
4 Tbsp. peanut butter (or other nut butter, or Nutella)
⅓ cup Rice Krispies cereal
Cheddar (or cheese of your choice), sliced thickly
1. Slice apples in half, carefully removing the core.
- Spread peanut butter on the cut side of the apple.
- Insert toothpick into apple
- Cut the thick cheese slice into triangles, center each one, and slide it onto toothpick.