Bread in a Bag
3 cups flour
¼ cup sugar
1 packet yeast (rapid rise or regular)
1 cup warm water
¼ cup butter, melted
1 tsp. salt
- Stir 1 cup flour, sugar and yeast in a bowl and then transfer to a gallon-size resealable (Ziploc-style) bag.
- Pour warm water into the bag. Seal the bag, pressing out the air.
- Let the kids shake and mix the bag by hand.
- Let bag rest for 10 minutes to proof.
- In a bowl, combine 1 cup of flour with salt. Pour this into the bag along with the melted butter.
- Seal bag, pressing out the air, and shake and mix through by hand.
- Add the final cup of flour to the bag.
- Remove the dough and place on a floured surface. With floured hands, knead dough for 5-10 minutes.
- Put dough into a greased loaf pan. Place a towel over the loaf pan and set into a warm spot to rise 30-45 minutes.
- Bake at 375 for 25 minutes.
Mini Chicken-Pot-Pie Cups
¾ cup rotisserie chicken, fully cooked, diced
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 cup mixed frozen vegetables: carrots, peas, green beans, thawed
1 package refrigerated biscuit dough
- Preheat the over to 375°F.
- In a medium bowl, stir chicken, thawed mixed vegetables and cream of chicken soup.
- Separate the biscuit dough and place each one into a greased muffin-tin compartment. Using your fingers, push down the dough, starting in the middle and working up the sides of each muffin compartment as high as it will go.
- Add the chicken mixture to each cup (approximately 2 Tablespoons each).
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden brown and bubbly.
Note: You can substitute crescent roll dough cut into circles for the biscuit dough for a sweeter, softer texture.
Barbecue Chicken Tostadas
Small flour or corn tortillas
Chicken, cooked and shredded
Shredded cheese, cheddar, Monterey jack, mozzarella or pepper jack
Scallions, salsa, sour cream (optional)
- Toss the shredded chicken in barbecue sauce
- Lay tortillas on ungreased cooking sheet and place chicken mixture on top, then top with cheese.
- Broil on low until tostadas are golden brown and cheese is melted.
- Top with a drizzle more of barbecue sauce and favorite toppings.
[fbcomments url="" width="100%" count="off" num="15" countmsg="Facebook Comments"]