The fields are ripe with those yummy red berries. We are blessed with lots of great strawberry fields in the Triad for “you-pick” with the family. Whether you are eating them fresh or whether you froze the bounty for later recipes, or simply didn’t have time and are buying at farmers’ markets or the grocery store, here are some healthy recipes everyone will love.
Healthy Strawberry Banana Smoothie
- 1 cup baby spinach
- 1 banana
- 2 cups strawberries, frozen
- ¼ cup oats
- 1 Tbsp. flax meal
- 1 Tbsp. Chia seeds
- ¼ cup Greek vanilla yogurt
- 1 scoop unflavored protein powder (optional)
- 1 mandarin orange, peeled (optional)
- Almond milk (optional)
- 1 cup ice
- Blend all the ingredients in a blender with just enough liquid to turn the blades. Add more yogurt, or almond milk. or a peeled mandarin orange (without seeds), if more liquid is needed.
- Serve immediately or freeze for later.
- 32 oz. strawberries, fresh or frozen, hulled and quartered
- ¼ cup white sugar
- 2 Tbsp. corn starch
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- One-third cup white sugar
- One third cup brown sugar
- ½ tsp. cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ½ cup butter, melted (1 stick)
- Preheat oven to 350° and spray a 9 x 9” square pan with cooking spray.
- In a bowl, toss strawberries, ¼ cup white sugar and cornstarch.
- Place berries in prepared pan.
- In a separate bowl, mix flour, oats, one-third cup white sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon and salt.
- Add melted butter and mix well. Spread oatmeal mixture on top.
- Bake 35 minutes or until topping is golden and berries and bubbly.
- Serve immediately with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
Strawberry Fruit Snacks
- 3 cups fresh strawberries, hulled and halved (or frozen thawed and drained)
- ¼ cup coconut milk
- 2-4 Tbsp. honey to taste
- ¼ cup gelatin
- In a small saucepan, bring strawberries and coconut milk to a low simmer for 3-4 minutes, squishing the berries with a potato masher to release their juices.
- Place the warm strawberry mixture into a blender with honey and blend until smooth. Add more honey to sweeten, if needed.
- Add gelatin, blending until smooth
- Pour the strawberry gelatin mixture into mold and freeze for 15-30 minutes or refrigerate for up to an hour, so gelatin sets up.
- Pop the fruit snacks out of the mold and serve. Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.