We are all wishing for Spring! Usher the season in with these fresh, fun, and easy-to-make sushi-inspired dishes. The dark seaweed turns off some picky eaters, so try these seaweed-free options. Don’t forget to use chopsticks!
Cucumber Sushi Roll (seaweed-free)
1 can tuna
1 long cucumber
1 squeeze lemon juice
1 Tbsp. mayonnaise
1 cup white rice, cooked
- Wash cucumber and cut in half. Use an apple corer to widely tunnel through the center of each half of the cucumber to remove seeds.
- Drain the canned tuna.
- In a bowl, mix the avocado, mayo and lemon juice. Add the tuna and rice, mixing well.
- Fill the tunnel of the cucumber with the tuna mixture.
- Slice the filled cucumber into 1-inch thick slices and serve.
Banana “Sushi” Rolls
4 Tbsp. peanut butter
1 cup Nutella
1¼ cup crispy rice cereal (or Fruity Pebbles cereal)
1 cup coconut flakes
1. Peel two bananas and spread peanut butter onto bananas with spreader.
- Roll one of the peanut butter-coated bananas in coconut flakes.
- Roll the second peanut-butter banana in crispy rice cereal.
- Peel the final two bananas and using a spreader, coat in Nutella.
- Sprinkle one Nutella banana with sesame seeds.
- Roll the second Nutella banana in coconut flakes.
- Chill for at least one hour, then slice into 1½-inch slices and serve.
Turkey & Cheese “Sushi” Sandwich
Spinach tortilla wrap
1 tsp. cream cheese
½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
4 slices turkey lunch meat
Long red pepper slices (optional)
¼ cup carrots, shredded
¼ cup ranch dressing (optional)
1. Cut off rounded edges of tortilla to make more of a square and spread cream cheese along ½-inch of one edge. (This will act as a “glue” to fasten the sushi sandwich wrap, so keep this in mind when wrapping.)
2. Spread mozzarella on tortilla, leaving the cream cheese and about 2 inches of opposite end uncovered.
- Arrange turkey slices on the uncovered 2 inches of tortilla. Top with shredded carrots and red pepper (all arranged lengthwise).
- Roll very tightly towards you—fold over the turkey side first, rolling tightly and squeezing the tortilla, finishing by pressing the rolled sushi sandwich into the cream cheese to “glue” it shut.
- Using a sharp knife, cut the roll into ½-inch pieces and serve with ranch dressing for dipping, if desired.
[fbcomments url="" width="100%" count="off" num="15" countmsg="Facebook Comments"]