These are the real deal! They’re insanely rich, dense and filling. If you’re not preparing for your summer body, these are perfect. With only four ingredients needed to add a peanut butter swirl, make the brownies from scratch (as noted below) or add to a boxed batter. Either version is equally delicious. If using boxed, be sure to follow the box directions for baking.
1 cup unsalted butter, divided
1 (4-ounce) semi-sweet chocolate bar, coarsely chopped
2 cups granulated sugar
3 large eggs, at room temperature
2 teaspoons vanilla extract, divided
1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1½ chopped peanut butter cups
1 cup creamy peanut butter
½ cup confectioners’ sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a 9×13 inch pan. Set aside.
- Brownie batter: in a microwave-safe dish, combine ¾ cup butter and chopped chocolate. Melt in 30- second increments, whisking after each, until completely smooth. Whisk in granulated sugar until completely combined, then whisk in eggs and 1 teaspoon vanilla.
- Add cocoa powder, flour and salt. Fold it all together with a rubber spatula. Stir in chopped peanut butter cups, reserving a small handful to sprinkle on top. Set aside.
- Peanut butter swirl: melt the remaining butter. Using a mixer, beat the melted butter, the remaining 1 teaspoon of vanilla, the peanut butter and confectioners’ sugar until smooth. Drop big spoonsful of most of the chocolate batter randomly into the prepared pan. Top with random spoonsful of all the peanut butter batter. Using a knife, swirl the batters together. Sprinkle with any remaining peanut butter cups.
- Bake for 30 minutes, then test the brownies with a toothpick.
- Remove from oven and let cool completely before cutting into squares. Cover and store leftover brownies at room temperature for up to 1 week.