For the past 4 years, this space has been occupied by “Keep on the Sunny Side,” and was written by Jennifer Hampton, Pastor of Sunrise UMC. We found out in March that our beloved Jennifer was being moved to Camp Tekoa. While we were all surprised and saddened by the news, we were reminded that, after all, it is the Methodist way. Typical pastor moves happen in June, with the new pastor coming in July. However, with her move being made to a camp, she was needed at her new appointment sooner, so we find ourselves “pastorless” earlier than usual. Lucky for us, we have back-up! Many thanks to Pastor Darren, Pastor Jayne and Tim who will lead our worship until Jennifer’s replacement comes.
Changing pastors can be a stressful thing, but it is also a chance for refreshment and renewal. It keeps things from getting stale or monotonous for the pastor and the congregation. I have worshiped there for over 20 years with four different pastors. I have raised my children there. I have watched my husband blossom from a back-row attender to our Worship Arts Coordinator there. I have made countless memories there and made countless bonds and friendships with so many wonderful people. I have ministered to and been ministered to there. I cannot imagine going through my recent cancer journey without my Sunrise family. I have watched people come and people go for various reasons. While it’s hard to put into words all that makes Sunrise such a special place, it feeds my soul and I am grateful!
If you’re looking for a church home, give us a try! Below are my top ten reasons to visit Sunrise!
- Friendliest folks around!
- Grab a tasty snack and cup of coffee on your way into worship.
- Amazing music by the coolest praise band ever!
- “Come as You Are” philosophy, and we mean it! Very relaxed dress code; shorts, tees and flip flops are perfectly fine.
- Home to “Genesis Kardia—Serving Families with Intellectual & Developmental Disabilities.” A weekly worship service on Monday nights from 6:30-7:30pm. If you ever want to see and feel the real love of Jesus, just attend this amazing service!
- We have a new disc golf course on our property and welcome visitors to play anytime! Story in the May 2019 issue of Forsyth Family Magazine.
- Unique worship opportunities: Worship without Walls, Blessing of the Animals, Blessing of the Bikes, Sunrise Sips to name a few….
- Cancer Sucks! Support Group meets monthly on the 3rd Wednesday of the month at 6:30pm.
- 10:30 am start time! Beat the Sunday lunch crowds.
- And finally, the best reason of all is our mission statement: “Sharing the love of Jesus so that all may become his followers.”
Hope to see you Sunday!