Warm summer nights are best cooled off with a family movie night, complemented by yummy snacks that are easy to make and not too messy to enjoy.
Healthy Sweet Options:
Satisfy that sweet tooth with these treats that are jammed with antioxidants, whole grains, minerals, and vitamins.
- Fresh Fruits, sliced (such as orange wedges, grapes, sweet Honeycrisp apples)
- Chocolate Zucchini Muffins (recipe below)
- Vanilla Bean Ice Cream topped with Homemade Granola and a drizzle of Honey
- Rice Cakes with Chocolate Almond Butter or Creamy Peanut Butter
- Applesauce Pouches
- Frozen Grapes
- Dark Chocolate-Dipped Strawberries
- Homemade Dried Fruit Rolls
- Dark Chocolate-Dipped Pretzels
- Homemade Pop-Tarts
Classic Sweet Options:
Treat your family with a few homemade movie snacks that’ll hit that sweet tooth craving as well as the best classics.
- Homemade Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Popcorn tossed with M&Ms
- Smurf Mix: Toss together Mini-Marshmallows, Honey Nut Cheerios, M&Ms (only the blue ones), and Yogurt-Covered Berries
- Oven-Toasted S’mores: Create a layer(s) of graham crackers, chocolate, and marshmallows in a baking dish, then broil until browned. Keep a close eye, as this will only take a few minutes.
- Ice Cream Sandwiches
- Homemade Double Chocolate Brownies
Healthy Savory Options:
Air-popped popcorn is only the beginning of the long delicious list of healthier savory movie snacks. Try being creative in the kitchen by pairing some of these savory options with a sweet complement for ultimate satisfaction.
- Popcorn (try popping in extra virgin olive oil, then sprinkle on some nutritional yeast and sea salt for a cheesy flavor)
Whole Grain Pizzas (simply add your favorite pizza toppings on sliced English muffins or pita, then bake until melted goodness)
- Tortilla Chips with Salsa & Guacamole
- Edamame (sprinkle with a little sea salt or bake until crunchy)
- Fresh Vegetables & Hummus
- Crunchy Kale Chips
- Cheese & Crackers
- Roasted Nuts
- Cheesy Broccoli Bites
Classic Savory Options:
A few savory options that can easily replace dinner by adding a little protein or greens on the side.
- Homemade Pretzel Bites with Honey Mustard Dipping Sauce
- Fried Pickles
- Homemade Dinner Nachos (create layers of tortilla chips, cooked ground turkey, cheese, salsa, spring onions, and cooked vegetable, then roast until desired cheesy gooeyness)
- Mozzarella Pizza Pockets
- Bagel Dogs
- Cheddar Cheese Cookies
- Mini-Bacon & Cheese Sliders
Family nights are precious moments to make lasting memories, whether it’s the laughter as you make these delicious treats from scratch in the kitchen or the relaxing time watching a new movie together.
CHOCOLATE ZUCCHINI MUFFINS
- 1 1/4 cup Oat Flour, substitute with All-Purpose Flour or White Whole Wheat Flour
- 1/3 cup Cocoa Powder
- 1 tsp. Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp. Baking Soda
- 2 Tbsp. Flaxseed Meal
- 1/8 tsp. Kosher Salt
- 3 Tbsp. Olive Oil
- 1/3 cup Maple Syrup, or Honey
- 1 1/4 cup Zucchini, grated
- 1/3 cup Applesauce
- 1 cup Almond Milk
- 1/2 cup Dark or Semisweet Chocolate Chips, preferably mini
- 1-2 tsp. Vanilla Extract
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the flaxseed meal with two tablespoons of warm water. Set aside for 5 minutes.
- In the meantime, mix together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a separate bowl.
- Add the maple syrup, shredded zucchini, applesauce, almond milk, olive oil, and vanilla extract into the flaxseed bowl. Mix well.
- Pour the wet zucchini mixture over the flour mixture, add in the chocolate chips. Then fold to incorporate all ingredients together.
- Evenly pour the batter into a 10-12 lined cupcake or muffin pan. Bake for 5 minutes.
- Keep the muffins in the oven! Reduce the oven temperature to 350F, then bake for an additional 12-13 minutes, or until a toothpick comes clean from the center.
- Allow the muffins to cool for at least 5 minutes, then enjoy!