BY BRITTANY ORIE
“Don’t forget to show hospitality to strangers, for some who have done this have entertained angels without realizing it!” ~ Hebrews 13:2
In honor of World Kindness Day, here are some radical ways to show uncommon kindness:
- Stop and pray for a homeless person. This way you give more than just money; you are giving them faith, hope, and encouragement.
- Make care packages for children with cancer. Where is your local children’s hospital? Surprise them with free gifts: a wonderful book, fun toys, and games.
- Have a sale, any sale—a bake sale, yard sale, or a fundraiser—and send the money you raised to a hurricane-relief fund or a local charity.
- Visit a local animal sanctuary. Find out how you can show love and affection to rescued animals and donate.
- Give a random, but genuine, compliment to a stranger. If you like someone’s hairstyle or outfit, let them know!
- Treat a sad friend to a spa or a road trip…and it doesn’t even have to be her birthday!
- Do better than giving that homeless man a dollar—give him some food that will provide him with strength and nourishment.
- Tell your siblings how great they are and how much you love and appreciate them…even if they constantly irritate you.
- Give someone with low self-esteem a makeover! If you look good, you feel good, and vice versa.
- Surprise someone, whether you know them or not, with money for lunch. Even if you must do it anonymously…you never know what someone is going through financially.
- Invite a friend who has never traveled to go on vacation with you.
- Leave an envelope on a vending machine with an anonymous note and a dollar for the next person who uses it.
- Ever heard of the Cash app? Surprise a friend (in need) with some extra dollars!
- Wake up early and surprise your family by cooking them breakfast. Especially if it’s something you don’t normally do.
- Try to befriend the shyest person in class or at work.
- Don’t be a bystander! Help someone who is having car trouble, a child who seems lost, or nurse someone who is injured.
- Treat your mother to a manicure/pedicure after a long day of working.
- Have a distant relative or friend you haven’t seen or spoken to in a while? Surprise them with a pop-up visit!
- Talk to a person who looks sad, whether you know them or not.
- Leave a larger, more generous tip for your server.
- Give someone a ride home.
- Teach a class on something you love and are natural at. There are people who need you to share your gift!
- Save up the coins you accumulate throughout the year and give an annual donation to the charity of your choice.
- Teach children how to read and write. Those are certainly needed skills!
- Participate in the Angel Tree foundation. Give to needy children on Christmas.
- Give your coats away to the less privileged.
- Try to uplift a person every single day, whether online or in person.
- Cook a healthy meal for someone who is ill.
- Put a generous amount of money on a gift card and give it to someone who could use it.
- Order something nice for a friend and surprise them with it. Again, it mdoes not have to be their birthday!
- Keep a homeless woman’s personal needs in mind when giving to them.
- Have a conversation with someone who is sitting by themselves at a restaurant.
- Clean up your boyfriend’s room while he’s at work.
- If you’re sick in a hospital, don’t only pray for your own healing, but pray for the healing of every single patient there.
- At a clinic or doctor’s waiting area? Encourage the person next to you. You may befriend them!
Don’t wait until someone’s birthday, Mother’s Day, Father’s Day, Christmas, or Valentine’s Day to do something special for someone. These days are not promised. A random act of uncommon kindness can happen any day!