The summer season makes its introduction with nothing less than the best, as the sun smiles a little longer and the birds chirp a bit louder. And with that, it welcomes a fruit-heavy harvest filled with apricots, cantaloupe, cherries, kiwi, peaches, watermelon, cherries, blueberries, and more. From classic berry cobblers to simple fruit salads, to our vegan berry scones, each fruit is unique in keeping things fresh and exciting. And what’s even better than their scrumptious flavors? They are excellent sources of essential vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and fiber!
These lightly sweet scones are fluffy, flaky, and made with extra virgin olive oil as a healthier substitute to butter. And the best part is that you can substitute the strawberries for any fruit you may have on hand to experience the full delights of the blossoming June produce!
Vegan Strawberry-Lemon Scones
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp. baking powder
- 1 Tbsp. ground flax seed
- ½ salt
- ¼ cup granulated cane sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¾ cup almond milk
- ¾ cup fresh strawberries, thinly chopped
- zest of 1 lemon
- Preheat oven to 400° Line a baking pan with parchment paper.
- Mix together all dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
- Add in the olive oil and use a fork to mix until texture is crumb-like.
- Add in the remaining ingredients; mix just until combined. Fold in the strawberries.
- On a lightly floured surface, shape the dough into a 1-2″ circle, then cut diagonally into 8 even triangles.
- Place onto the prepared baking pan, give it an olive oil wash, and bake for 22-25 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Garnish with a dusting of powdered sugar or a lemon glaze, then enjoy!
Now that you’ve mastered the art of fresh berries, it’s time to grab your fork and enjoy the blossoming summer season delights!
[fbcomments url="" width="100%" count="off" num="15" countmsg="Facebook Comments"]